Imagine this scenario:
You have no belief in yourself; you go through life running from your problems instead of facing them. You talk about your goals and dreams but never do anything about them. Your days consist of blaming others (parents, teachers, the system, etc.) for your failures and shortcomings.
A scowl permanently affixes itself to your face, notifying others to keep away.
And naturally, people avoid you because of this toxic and negative personality. Resentment and anger build. You feel an immense sense of injustice when you look at your life. So you try to make others’ lives just as miserable, all the while making a complete ass of yourself.
Obviously, this is an extreme example.
And if you’re reading this, you’re most likely not that far gone. However, many people, unfortunately, fall into this category. So if you feel like life has been less than favourable to you, there are a few things you can do to turn things around. Keep reading to learn my…
3-Step Strategy to Turn Your Life Around Quickly
Life gets all of us down from time to time; it’s natural and to be expected.
However, dwelling on the unsatisfactory things in your life won’t help your case. In fact, that actually makes things worse as it invites similar circumstances into your daily experience. So how can you turn your life around quickly when you feel yourself deviating from the path?
1. Create a Vision
“It’s easy to let life deteriorate into making a living, instead of designing a life.”
~ Jim Rohn
What does the ideal life look like to you? Have you taken the time to consider this idea? Most people wish for a life that will bring them happiness and contentment. But that’s usually where it stops—at the wishing stage. We all need a vision, a compelling future to strive toward because that’s what makes life exciting and where we derive meaning.
Do you know what you want from your life? Have you clarified and clearly articulated it? Do you have it written down? Are you reviewing it every day? Here are a few areas to consider to craft your vision. When you have some time to yourself, grab a piece of paper and a pen, and write down what you’d like for your life in the following categories:
- Job/career: What line of work do you want to be engaged in? What industry or profession do you feel you’re suited for where you could contribute your greatest gifts, talents, and abilities?
- Money/income: How much money would you like to earn annually? How much would satisfy you and your family and enable you to live a comfortable life? Determine a definite amount and resolve to do what’s necessary to be worth that amount.
- Relationships: You become who you associate with. So it’s essential to decide what kinds of people you want in your life. What qualities do you want in your friends, lovers, business partners, etc? You must have a baseline standard of what is and isn’t acceptable to you regarding the people whom you allow in your inner circle.
Put your vision in writing. Be as detailed as possible. And review it every day to ingrain it in your mind.
2. Develop a Plan
“A goal without a plan is just a wish.”
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
It’s one thing to have goals, and it’s another to have a concrete plan of action to attain those goals. Once you’ve crafted your vision, the next step to turn your life around quickly is to develop a plan.
Planning out your goals, dreams, and ambitions is essential, as it can help you:
- Keep your objectives fresh in your mind
- Develop strategies to overcome obstacles
- Make your vision feel more concrete and realistic
- Put you in the driver’s seat of your life
- Monitor progress and make necessary changes if they are required
Do not skip the planning stage! Most people mistakenly assume that their good intentions alone will be sufficient to produce follow-through toward their goals.
However, according to a report submitted by Todd Rogers (a Harvard Professor and a behavioural scientist) to Harvard University, developing plans has been proven to increase the probability of implementation.
There are a couple of ways to develop your plans:
- Create plans of your own: Even haphazard, impractical plans are better than nothing at all. In fact, taking action on such plans can often lead to fruitful learning experiences, helping you to quickly shift course.
- Learn from others: The best way to create plans that can turn your life around quickly is to hire a mentor or a coach. They can guide you through the process and help you reach your goals much faster and more efficiently than you could on your own.
Planning is non-negotiable if you want to improve your life. So be sure to take time for this step. But it’s also important to remember that your plans are only as good as your ability to practice the art of…
3. Take Action Daily
“Inaction breeds fear and doubt; taking action breeds confidence and courage.”
~ Dale Carnegie
Your goals take on power and life in their daily execution; inconsistent effort will always lead to stagnation and eventually failure. So once you’ve completed your plan, you must then schedule it into your calendar.
This is where your desire and intensity (or lack thereof) will reveal itself.
To turn your life around quickly, you must take daily, consistent action. That may seem like a tall order. However, here’s the good news: it doesn’t have to be massive action; now, of course, it is better to take such action but it’s okay to start small and move slowly.
The smallest of changes can produce positive results in a relatively short period.
In fact, you can change the trajectory of your entire life with a few small improvements in your lifestyle. Through daily execution, you can change course instantly. You won’t arrive overnight, but you can change direction overnight. And that is empowering to know!
And all you need to do is:
- Create your vision
- Develop your plan
- And take daily consistent action
Your life is the sum total of the decisions you’ve made up until this point. So it stands to reason that to change your life, you need to change your decisions. If you need help with this concept, be sure to signup to my email list below. You’ll receive new tips weekly that are proven to help you develop self-discipline, confidence, and self-belief to achieve your goals and ambitions.